Ethics & standards
At Governance Institute of Australia (Governance Institute) we conduct our business according to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, respect and fairness when dealing with all of our customers and employees.
We achieve this by the Members' Code of Ethics:
Members’ Code of Ethics
- Governance Institute requires its members to observe the highest standards of professional conduct and ethical behaviour in all of their activities. By maintaining such standards, members enhance their own standing as corporate managers and increase public confidence in the management and administration of corporations.
- Members shall uphold the objectives of Governance Institute and abide by the regulations.
- As the conduct of an individual member can reflect upon the wider profession of corporate management and upon Governance Institute's membership as a whole, the Code sets out what are deemed to be appropriate standards of professional conduct.
- Members shall refrain from conduct or action which detracts from the reputation of Governance Institute.
- Members are required to exercise complete probity, honesty and diligence in carrying out their duties and responsibilities.
- Members shall at all times safeguard the interests of their employers or clients provided that members shall not knowingly be party to any illegal or unethical activity.
- Members shall not enter into any agreement or undertake any activity which may be in conflict with the interests of their employers or clients or which would prejudice the performance of their professional duties.
- Members shall not use confidential information gained in the performance of their duties for any personal gain nor in a manner which would be detrimental to their employer or client.
- Members shall exercise due care and diligence in performing their duties and ensure the currency of their knowledge, skills and technical competencies.
- Members acknowledge that this Code is to be adhered to both in spirit and to the letter, so that members' conduct is governed by the highest standards of professionalism and ethical behaviour.
We require that all of our employees meet these high standards also.
The Company takes seriously its obligations to comply with all federal, state and local government laws and regulations, as well as common law obligations, and again requires all employees to do the same.
If you believe that a Governance Institute member or a member of staff has acted in a way that contravenes any part of the Members' Code of Ethics, please contact Governance Institute's Company Secretary on 1800 251 849 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your correspondence will be treated with delicacy and in confidence.