Effective Director Course – Module 2: Director dynamics
Wednesday, 10 July 2019 to Wednesday, 10 July 2019
9:00am to 6:30pm
Governance Institute of Australia
100 Creek Street
BRISBANE QLD 4000
Cost (Inc GST)
Effective director conduct requires the development of softer skills to make you aware of the types of behaviour you may experience and will need as a director. Self-awareness of your behaviour and communication styles and the impact of these on your director effectiveness is key.
This module includes a board room dinner from 5.00pm to 6.30pm.
- Discuss board and director effectiveness an how these elements are assessed.
- Apply concepts such as communication progression and the Ladder of Inference to the role of the effective director.
- Recognise the different styles of communication and how these can be used effectively.
- Examine how acquiring information, active listening, asking the right questions, persuasion, influence and negotiation skills can be used to achieve the strategic vision and objectives of an organisation.
- Board and director effectiveness
- How directors communicate
- Acquiring information by listening
- Asking the right questions
- Persuasion, influence and negotiation
- Director effectiveness
We recommend you also attend module 3, the simulated board meeting, which is a companion module.
Richard Willcock FGIA
Richard is a corporate governance practitioner with board and senior executive level experience with public, private and not for profit entities. Over the past 20 years, Richard has held senior governance, legal and risk roles in the banking and financial services sector and with the Commonwealth Government. During this period he has also been a board member of both operating and subsidiary entities and a trustee of a not for profit foundation.
Richard has first hand experience with many of the issues which confront directors, CEOs and other executives as they come to grips with their stakeholders’ governance expectations. Richard consults in governance, strategy, business design and operations and commercial law and is an occasional author and presenter in applied governance. He has successfully built and lead highly effective teams in complex business environments.
Join and save
Members of Governance Institute receive a discount of up to $130 for the full day module — find out if you are eligible.